- Profession: Pianist, composer.
- Residences: St Petersburg, Moscow.
- Relation to Mahler:
- Correspondence with Mahler:
- Born: 01-04-1873 Great Novgorod, Russia.
- Died: 28-03-1973 Beverly Hills, California, America.
- Buried: Kensico Cemetery in Valhalla, New York, America.
Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff (Russian: Серге́й Васи́льевич Рахма́нинов) was a Russian composer, pianist, and conductor. Rachmaninoff is widely considered as one of the finest pianists of his day and, as a composer, one of the last great representatives of Romanticism in Russian classical music.
Early influences of Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, and other Russian composers gave way to a personal style notable for its song-like melodicism, expressiveness and his use of rich orchestral colors. The piano is featured prominently in Rachmaninoff's compositional output, and through his own skills as a performer he explored the expressive possibilities of the instrument.